Sunday 27 January 2013

Completely blown away


Today was Sunday. We went to Rich & Laurie's church. Trust me, the service is very long, around three hours! I didn't stay for the entire service, I went outside with the Sunday School kids with Laurie, Rebecca and my dad. It was very interesting to see how they teach the kids about Jesus in another country, knowing how it is in Canada because I am involved in children's ministry. In Canada, they separate the kids in age groups, but here they keep them all together in one big group.

After the service, I gave the kids toothbrushes. They looked very happy to receive the toothbrushes, they started to play with them as if they were toys.

What really amazes me is that the people are so happy with so little. They're just happy that they are alive and well, and that God has blessed them with what they have. I saw a little boy probably only one year old, wearing ripped clothes and probably living in a hut that was made out of plastic bags, and he was laughing and smiling. I think we can all learn something from them. God loves you enough to give you breath and life, and he let his one and only son die for your sins so that we can have eternal life with him in Heaven. Just thinking about that makes me smile. What a wonderful truth!

After church, we went to play volleyball with some youth at another church in Mongu. It was so fun! There were over 100 kids playing soccer and volleyball and some just digging in the dirt.  We played a warm-up match, and then we danced. Then we played another match, Canada vs. Zambia. Sadly, the Canadians lost. We'll win next time.  Then more dancing.  Then the Pastor spoke and wanted us to introduce ourselves to everyone.  They asked me to share something about Canada.  Then, you guessed it...  we danced!

The construction project has been going well, and its back to work at the site tomorrow. 

That's all for now,
Kayla
Me handing out toothbrushes to some of the kids

 

No comments:

Post a Comment